Survival Kit Ideas – “Must Haves” for Survival Gear
Many of us enjoy the great outdoors and all that it has to offer, but how many of us are really prepared when we head out? It’s easy to forget all the scenarios that can happen when we’re away from civilization, but just a little inexpensive preparation can take the stress out of your outings.
Here are some basic survival gear list ideas to best assemble your survival kit for all your Must Haves in surviving in the wilderness. All of the products listed below can be found on Amazon for fairly cheap. Or if you would rather purchase a premade First Aid kit or Wilderness Survival Kit we have a couple packages for you to choose from that we recommend.
- Most survival kits come equipped with a compass, to ensure you know which way to stay on course so that you don’t end up lost. Be sure to take a compass along and you never need to worry about replacing the batteries as they work without batteries.
- Carry a large scale map with you so that you can plan out your hunting or hike, you can buy waterproof maps. You might not think about it until it happens, but paper maps are useless when wet.
- A folding stainless steel tool is essential while you’re on your hike, and there are many excellent models to choose from that are durable.
Water purification tablets or filter
- Having some sort of a purification filter or tablets on hand can be critical for survival. Boiling water isn’t enough when you are out in the wilderness, and you need some sort of a filtration to purify the water for drinking.
- A survival blanket can be the difference between life or death. They’ll keep you warm, dry, and work as a sleeping bag to keep you nice and snug at night as a versatile, compact item.
- Not everyone can start up a fire with sticks including myself, Best to equip some waterproof matches in my survival kit keep them safe in a plastic bag or plastic container so they will float.
Headlamp or flashlight
- You never know when you need a headlamp. A hands-free light source when you’re working in the dark is mandatory, and it’s best to carry extra batteries. Be sure to replace the bulb and batteries after every hunting season.
Stainless steel cup
- It’s always great to have something to drink out of, but that isn’t the only thing a stainless steel cup can do. You can heat water and cook food with your stainless cup. It may be a littler bulkier to take with you, but it can also be a life saver.
Most survival kits come equipped with a wire saw
- A lightweight wire saw will do the trick when you need to cut some wood or build shelter. These little saws cut through anything, including wood, plastic, bone, and some composite materials. Definitely an essential to take with you.
Here are two recommended Wilderness Survival Kits to choose from that offers all the essentials for surviving in the wilderness every hunting season. Remember to restock your kit at the end of each hunting season.
- Make sure to replenish any food each and every time after hunting season, and always pack high energy bars, some tea, instant soup, and jerky.
SaleBestseller No. 1
Millennium Energy Bars Assorted Flavors 18- pack Including Emergency Guide
- LONG SHELF LIFE - It is strictly made with long expiration date for up to 5 years even if you stock in a long period of time the taste is still the same crunchy and fresh that keeps you nourished and alive. Each bar contains over 400 calories!
- VARIETY FLAVORS - These are very tasty and filling it comes with different fruity flavors Lemon, Raspberry, Raspberry, Cherry, Tropical fruit, Orange flavored bars. It won't make you thirsty or dry out your mouth. You will receive 6 different flavors. May differ from the ones mentions or in the product image displayed.
- DURABLE PACKAGING - The packing is absolutely Mylar vacuumed packed and BPA-free which preserved them crunchy, safe and fresh to eat. No worries about broken packaging this is very well sealed solid plastic.
- UNIVERSALLY NEEDED - These is a very good substitute if ever you are in an emergency situation like calamity, out of food, camping, boating, hiking and more outdoor or indoor activities. These are ready to eat, non-perishable for adults and for kids.
- PERFECT GIFT - Excellent gift for your friends, kids or to anyone in your life with Emergency guide by Marvin B. Lark included. Survival tips inside for you and for your family.
SaleBestseller No. 1
KRAVE Jerky Variety Pack (Beef Jerky, Pork Jerky) 10 Count
- A delicious new way to get your protein
- A wholesome and deliciously satisfying snacking alternative
- Gluten-free, good source of protein, and made with lean cuts of meat and gourmet ingredients
- Assortment includes: three 1-ounce bags of Beef Jerky in Chili Lime flavor, three 1-ounce bags of Pork Jerky in Black Cherry BBQ flavor, and four 1-ounce bags of Beef Jerky in Sweet Chipotle flavor
- This product ships as a 10-count KRAVE Jerky Variety Pack
First Ait Kit
- Always bring a first Aid kit with you no matter how short of a trip you are going into the woods, Accidents do happen and even a small incident can become a catastrophe without the right tool, bandages, and medicines. There may be items you never need, but it’s vital you’re prepared for any situation. Think of it as a basic insurance plan you carry with you on every outing.
SaleBestseller No. 1
First Aid Only All-purpose First Aid Kit, Soft Case, 299-Piece Kit
- Contains 299 physician-recommended supplies
- Full-fledged, easy-to-tote First Aid softpack
- Medicine, antiseptics, bandages, injury treatments, and more
- Perfect for car, boat, home, or backpack
- Kit Dimensions: 9-1/4"x7-1/2"x2-7/8"
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Best to Pack a Few Extras
Heavy duty aluminum foil
- Foil works great as a heat reflector or for cooking over the fire. Cut out 5 sheets 18×24 and store with your survival kit for safe keeping. Sheets can be molded into many different types of cooking containers.
- Monofilament fishing line can be used in many ways including fishing, drying strips of meat, and repairing ripped clothes. Another great tip is to take along a large trash bags. Pass on the regular ones, and grab a couple of the heavyweight garbage bags. You can use these as cover since they’re waterproof.
- Having a whistle on hand really helps if you get lost and need to help someone locate you. In addition, using a small hand mirror to flash a signal or use it to see a wound on your face or back can be just what you need. A small mirror can serve a side benefit to scare off any animals with a startling flash.
- Can be used in many ways besides the obvious. It’s a great accessory to take with you in the wilderness for starting fires and also cleaning your tools or other messes.
Don’t forget to pack a pencil and paper as you never know when you need to leave a map for directions for the rescuers to be able to find you. Plus pack a few extra Coffee filters They aren’t just for brewing coffee, and you can use them to filter out water prior to purification, or use the filters to start a fire, as well bandage up a wound.
Here’s a great tip from one of our readers: He always packs cotton balls that are saturated in vaseline to act as a homemade fire starter. Pack a bunch in a ziplock and use one at a time. Poof, like magic. Thanks so much for sharing your fantastic tip with us Rob… Greatly appreciated. 🙂
Hopefully, you found our Survival Kit Idea’s useful so that you can plan ahead and be prepared for any situation while you’re out on a hunt. If we missed anything that you’d like to add to our list feel free to send us a message in comments below. We would love to hear your ideas based on your own experiences in the great outdoors. No matter what your activity is, be safe and always go prepared.